Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Office Space

Peter: So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.
Dr. Swanson: What about today? Is today the worst day of your life?
Peter: Yeah.
Dr. Swanson: Wow, that's messed up.
- 'Office Space'

Oh to work in an office. To sit in front of a computer all day. Working in an office. Doing the 9 - 5 (or 8:30 - 4:30) thing. In a suit. Or business casual. Or all dress code bets are off cause I work in IT. Working in an office.

There are good and bad things about working in an office. Safety wise, there's not much danger of falling off your ladder. Or stepping on a nail. Or getting your finger sawed off.


Instead, office work has different health hazards. Carpel tunnel syndrome has to be the craziest/saddest/most pathetic. Too much typing and then your hands become weak and frail and unusable. What a cruel joke. If you have a bad chair then back/neck/my entire frickin' body pain can become an issue. You can also make plenty of bad financial decisions sitting in front of a computer all day which can be bad for your overall well being.

In the office, there is a different level of decorum than other workplaces. It's not appropriate to talk openly about how loaded you got last night (or how hungover you are this morning). Most conversations are very measured. Maybe it's a strange illusion, but it seems that most office types I work with are alot more conservative/square/older? than myself... so I'm careful when I choose to let the cat out of the bag with regards to what I'm really all about.

For whatever reason, I find the topic of bathroom culture in the office interesting. In an outdoor environment there are a lot more options. In an office, it's either your floor or another. The office provided my first ever exposure to the term 'biobreak'. This finds its way into meeting agendas. It's a polite way of saying: "10 minutes to piss or shit if you have to".

One of the worst office experiences to have is walking into the office washroom and realizing a bombatron 3000 is being released when all you want to do is take a pee. Sometimes the culprit is just leaving as you enter the washroom, and you are left with the airborn remnants of their bodily biohazard. Nature does call, but for whatever reason it just seems like there is never enough bathrooms for the amount of people in the buildings. It's scary stuff, I know.

To capitalize on the office bathroom culture, I am putting forward our product idea, which was originally conceived by LJR. Enjoy. Click the pic to see in actual size.



3 comments:

  1. If you say poo shoes out loud, it sounds like something you would order in a chinese returaunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At my work, there are these steel toed slip ons that you have to put on to drive Raymond, the motorized pallet-jack.

    You have to get WCB on board with the poo shoes to make them mandatory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. other name ideas: "Little Deuce Boots" for the ladies, "Pinch-a-Loafers" for the boys.

    ReplyDelete