Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Life Lessons

"I may get old but I'll never grow up."
-fridge magnet

As one's time spent on earth continues to lengthen so does one's life experience continue to grow. As I meander down the path of pseudo-adulthood, new responsibilities, trials and teachings are met along the way.

During this growing process, I have recognized a need in my self to 'have it all'... something which I think many of my generational cohorts share. This personal sense of entitlement drives within me an urge to procure every item or experience I feel I deserve to have.

Now I may not be a complete and utter cheapskate, but I am thrifty with my money.

The only feasible way for me to 'have it all' at this point is to carefully purchase things. Whether it's calculating the per ml cost of imported ales, finding the cheapest source for a record, getting deals on cable/internet or knowing what the current price of cheese is in every supermarket in Victoria, I try and use my ability to memorize prices and value almost every day. For the most part I think I do a pretty good job making my dollars go far.

Btw, check out this cool jam called "I Need a Dollar" by Aloe Blacc:
http://starkmagazine.blogspot.com/2010/04/i-need-dollar.html

There have been some mistakes along the way... but that's what life experience is all about. I know now its best not to try and save by buying two used tires when in reality all 4 are in bad need of an upgrade... I have learnt that an inferior product for a cheaper price can be more expensive in the log run.

Which at last brings me to this postings picture. My friends the Tuppers were over one evening to grill up some burgers and watch a game. We all learnt a valuable life lesson that evening...


3 comments:

  1. it is good thing your one of my most athletic friends drew. or else you would not have cleared the railing so easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I was just wondering to myself the other day (with summer fast approaching), "where might I find an inexpensive BBQ" - thanks for the valuable lesson Drew. Look forward to seeing you and Kiku back on the fields soon.

    ReplyDelete